About Me

My photo
I have been teaching at SPCC since 2004. I love interacting with students everyday and working with my peers. I also love playing and coaching basketball, playing baseball, and golfing. I love being spontaneous and riding the wave of life where it takes me. I am also very proud to have the best wife, duaghter, and a brand new edition on the way in September. My parents are a driving force in who I have become and throughout my life I have had the best friends around me who love me for who I am. God has guided me in many ways that have turned into miracles.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Habit Project Day 5 Monday May 19th

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Just a note, I commented on each person's post from Day two of the project so feel free to go back and read it if you have not already.  Now that the weekend is done, we have the structure of the school week upon us.  This can be beneficial with some habits because there is less free time but harder with some habits because school takes up a large portion of the day.  Either way, keep a positive outlook, and be determined to get better today!

36 comments:

  1. Another bad habit I've discovered is being disorganized. It's a bad habit that I'd like to eliminate quickly, as it could cause major problems now and in the future.

    A strategy I can use to help with organization is to mainly have a place to put everything, so I know where stuff is.

    I have already somewhat started working on this habit, but will not abandon the other on I am working on as well.

    Last week in science when a worksheet was asked to be checked, I didn't have it. It was in my locker. because the worksheet was given the week before, I didn't think I would need it. Now I have a folder where I keep all received worksheets and such. So far, working on this habit will be yet another challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today was not really progressive, I raise my hand in some classes but not far too many. I still need to come up with new strategies that will help me.

    I thought of one that I can use which is after I get all my work done at home I can ask my mom or dad or anyone that can take me for a walk or drive me somewhere to more of a social setting which is very important. Then from there I can start making progress.

    For every time I actually make a social move I can write the number of people or social place I've been and write it so each day I can see and the next day I can get the higher number then the day I got before.

    I still need more suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So today was an okay day. I drifted off a lot since we did have school and it's really hard for me to pay attention in class with this habit.

    I drifted off for shorts amount of time.
    I would drift off then come back because I would remember about the project.

    I drifted off mostly at before recess/lunch and before we were leaving school since I was really tired.
    (I drift off more when I'm tired, so pretty much everyday.) other then that it's going to take a lot more work when I'm in school to not drift off

    ReplyDelete
  4. today, i didn't make allot of progress with my bad habit. but i did realize that i i only use bad language around certain people. but those people are my bros. and i always hang out with them. so i need some advice on how to handle this problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all talk different with our good friends. What if you come up with some words and get your friends to use the same. I always have my own lingo with my friends and it seems to catch on with them!

      Delete
  5. I did not make too much progress on the habit today. It has been the same the past two days. I may try to eat allot more healthy foods and small portions of unhealthy foods. I may try to start eating smaller portions of the unhealthy foods to make some progress. My mom today bought peaches and they are very good to eat. I will begin to attempt this strategy tomorrow and hopefully it will succeed. Good luck to everyone else on their habits and I hope they are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing habits is not easy. Go to the store with your mom and pick out stuff that is healthy that you like! There is a lot more than you think!

      Delete
  6. Well, I am almost done cleaning up my room because of how small it is and today I chose to sweep the house so I could get use to it. In my room, there was a lot of crumbs and dust on the ground. Then I decided to throw my bed sheets to the laundry because sometimes I eat some food like ice cream and chips on my bed while playing with my ipad and they were left with stains and crumbs. After, I started folding my sheets and organized my bed When I am done cleaning my room, I will deal with things I haven't organized yet. This is all I have to say for day 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a pic and post it so we can all see!

      Delete
    2. ok but I never took any picture of what my room looked like before on my lab top and I was only on blogger once yesterday and I just found out that you replied so what do I do with the picture.

      Delete
  7. Today I did some studying at Panera. I have done some homework and a couple of papers at Internet cafés before and I quite enjoy it. This seems to be another environment I work well in as long as I listen to music and tune out all the chatter from people. I seem to get work done well at a cafe as well as the room in my house. This lets me expand my options for homework and studying. Unfortunately, I wanted to get my homework done before dinner to study after. But I did study and get my work done, so I suppose that today was a pretty good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to clarify, I wanted to get my homework done before dinner, and I didn't, which I originally left out, sorry.

      Delete
  8. Today was not as good as the last two days. I think I bit my nails a few times today. This was probably because I was stressed over one of my tests. I also wasn't able to use the duct tape over the finger nails strategy because I was at school. As soon as I got home I cut my nails so hopefully I won't be able to bite them tomorrow. I hope tomorrow is a better day for me and I hope everyone else is making progress with their projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today was alright this morning. I had half a bagel with nothing on it and some green tea. Then something upset me right before lunch so I wasn't hungry. It was just really hard for me today I struggled a lot. Then I got home and ate lunch/dinner at 4:00. I haven't snacked on anything since so that's good.
    I have developed a new strategy where I'm going to space out my meals so I eat before I get hungry.
    Good luck to the rest of you with your habits

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today was good but i can do much better. I could have fouce a little more in my 3 period class, but overall i think i did pretty good. I raised my hand, asked questions , and took notes during school. I am not use to it ,but i have to remind myself. I try to participate in class ,but i think i should do it all the time instead of being distracted. There was one point i just wanted to draw cause i was really bored ,but i told my self i have to fource. I should fouces on a daily basis. If i keep continuing to fources in class that gives me a better chance to fouce during class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, today was interesting. Okay, to start off my day I listened to some music, made a good breakfast, watched some TV, studied for my Latin test, and got everything ready for school. I didn't have any negative feelings in the morning!
    At school, I got into a bit of trouble but I tried to take my mind off of it by talking to my friends about it. I also tried avoiding all negative thoughts by keeping myself occupied. I think Social Studies and Science were really goo parts of my day since I was engaged in the topics that were being taught. Oh, and by the way I thought of some new strategies to be even more positive! Here are some:
    - Listen to upbeat music
    - Talk to more people
    - Say "Hi" more
    - Laugh and smile more
    - write more
    - Always keeping myself around friends
    I hope everyone is doing well with their habit! Make more progress guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. today i went to school and home since i cant use my phone at school and i went home i didn't going i'm an social setting so i thought i should not use my phone in the car even though i'm only in the car with my family so i talked to my family about my day. tomorrow i plan to go out more than i did today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Today was definetly a way more progressive day than yesterday. I came home from school and did 50 jumping jacks and I think about 25 squats. Then I went for a power-walk, doing a little bit of jogging in between. When I came home, I then did some more jumping jacks and attempted crunches. Then I went outside and rode my bike around with my brother and sister for about twenty minutes. I went inside and did my homework and then I started my workout calendar I got from Blogilates.com.

    Overall, today was a pretty good day! I have also found that healthier eating fuels me a lot, as does drinking plenty of water. Also, I found a new brand of tea today called Honest Tea. It's organically grown tea with a small dash of sweetener. It tastes great and is good for you as well. Good luck to everyone else on their projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife best friends dad works for them. It is a coco cola product.

      Delete
  14. Each day is getting a little bit harder. Today, because of school, I forgot the stress ball at home and really had to focus on not cracking my knuckles. It's also harder to break a habit when people do what your trying not to do. As today went along, I never realized how much other people do it. Today I also had a softball game[ we won of course], but I get so stressed out during the game from parents and other players that I consistently cracked my knuckles.

    I figured out when I crack my knuckles. Whenever I get stressed, I use it to take focus off of the stressor. So I figure that if I truly want to get rid of this I have to find something else to do when a stressor is present.

    There is one little problem with that idea, I can't think of anything to do. I have so many activities to deal with I have no time to think. Any advice will be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Softball is a great time to come up with some nuance to occupy the time. In the field visual what you will do if the ball is hit to you, go through you fielding routine, or tell your teammates how many outs there are! It will also make you a better player! In the dug out take dry swings, always carry around a ball, or hold a bat.

      Delete
  15. Today was an okay day. My mom bought cake just to tempt me. Also it was my favorite kind too! Chocolate fudge cake with melted chocolate in between and sprinkles frosting and more chocolate. This was so hard! I did not eat the cake, but I made someone else do it for me and describe the taste to me while I ate carrots. It is getting harder and harder and since I am also not drinking soda I have been drinking ALOT more water. This is giving me more energy and I feel more excited to start the new day. Being healthy has been getting me pumped to exercise more, so I feel like I am the healthiest I have ever been. This project is such a great help. The one problem is I cannot find something to replace my craving for sweets. This is the longest I've ever gone without eating candy or cake or anything of that nature. Please tell me things that taste very good but are good for you at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of good healthy foods out there! Remember, fruit have natural good sugars for you! Try making smoothies or grilling fruit! Talk to me in school about other fun options!

      Delete
  16. I just rocked the workout of the day! The fun part is watching Lillian start out and raise her arms lying in mer bop pie while I workout. It's her little workout! After school I had a chiropractor appointment and now that I'm working out again consistently and went to the chiropractor my body feels good! Cooked dinner on the grill and hung out with the fam! Excited for school tomorrow so everyone have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In all my classes i had all of my homework was done. It was completed. I also had my 9th grade essay due tomorrow that i did Sunday. I had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also took notes instead of just sitting there. Especially in Scoial studies.. I sometimes get the notes from my classmates but today i took notes. It makes me fell better when i do these things.

      Delete
  18. Today was quite different as we had school. My swearing habit got significantly worse. I feel when i hang around my friends who use the same language I do, i swear without thinking much of it. I really got mad at myself at the end of the day when I thought about my habit. I really wish to stop swearing but it is sooo easy to slip up. On the flip side, my basketball practice went by pretty smooth. I didn't swear when things went south which is a nice step up. I hope to reduce my swearing during school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Today was an okay day.I woke up around 7:35 and we leave the house at 8:00 so we can get to school on time so i had to get ready and eat breakfast quickly. It is hard for me to do that because i forgot to prepare my breakfast the night before so I had to make breakfast in the morning and while I was making breakfast my mom was already in the car ready to go to school, I made my breakfast after I got ready so I didn't really have a lot of time. Tonight I did prepare my breakfast for tomorrow morning so I will have more time in the morning. Overall I did eat breakfast and i had a good day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today was a good day even with the exception of school. I made an apple, orange, and mango smoothie for breakfast and had a piece of toast with almond butter. For lunch I had a tuna sandwich and a granola bar. Instead of eating chips after coming home from school, I made for peach tea and had a piece of cheese :P. I had a makeup soccer game at six, but sadly we lost. I had pasta with vegetables for dinner. I did well today because I made sure that I didn't eat junk food and I exercised during the game.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is getting hard not to eat unhealthy foods. I might need to make a cheat day or a certain time or quantity of junk I can eat. Michael's strategy could prove to be useful and may be something I try in the future: eat healthy and a small amount of unhealthy foods to fill my cravings. So far, the most unhealthy thing I've eaten is an oatmeal cookie with chocolate cram, which I ate today when forgetting about the project until after I ate it. Today I walked into the kitchen to find the snack cupboard open. I found the family sized Lays sour cream & onion chips sitting there on the second shelf, mocking me. As much as I wanted to eat them, I refused to give in to the chips mocking ways. I slammed the door shut.
    My meals have been healthy for the most part so far in the project, except for the pizza that one day. Oh, and McDonald's. I had an all time high of four apples today. That scares me a little because last time I ate that much fruit, I became violently nauseous. That also means I only have two apples for tomorrow.
    I also want to start drinking more water. In class today, we discussed that one should drink half of their body weight in ounces. After basketball practice, where I always come home drained of fluids from sweating so much, I grabbed a measuring cup and filled it to a quart whether half of my weight in ounces was a quart or not. I didn't finish it yet because I could fell in my stomach that it was full of water.
    I hope that everyone is having the same success story that I'm having. Now, to finish that quart of water. Don't forget the 8th grade essay is due tomorrow. It counts as a test grade!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Today was good a lot like yesterday. I did all my homework as soon as I got home had a snack because I was starving when I came home from school the only time I was on the computor was to watch a movie no games just a movie. I've been outside mostly and practiced my guitar a lot, more than usual I took a brake from playing but I figured it's the perfect thing to put effort into for this project as we'll as school and trying to not be on my computor 24/7 when I could be doing other better things with my time not to say that video games are bad but there bad if you play them every second of every day

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well yesterday was a good day a lot better than Sunday I did all my homework and then when I had time off I didn't even put the tv on I went outside and rode my bike for like an hour unlike Sunday where I had to stay home because my parents were not home

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yesterday was kind of a hard day because my fridge stopped working and everything in it went bad so I couldn't make a salad for lunch so I didn't bring anything. Also Sara had candy and it was really hard trying not to eat the whle bag! I feel like today will be a better day though because I bought more salad!

    ReplyDelete
  25. so today wasn't the best but it was ok. i always listen to music when i am doing homework so i did listen to music but then i continued to listen because i didn't have enough of it. i have come to realize that music isn't a bad thing and maybe i should have chosen a different habit like my eating habits and how i don't eat well but good job everyone on your habits.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Today was a really good day! This morning I had breakfast and I was actually full till lunch time! Although Sara had sweets, I didn't fall in the trap and refused to eat it. For lunch I had a salad and after school I went to Sara's house and had vegetable soup! Now I am home and I hope the smell of cake throughout my whole house won't tempt me! I can't wait for tommorrow! Good luck everybody!!!����������������

    ReplyDelete